We are currently seeking:Editorial Designer
Advertising Sales Representative
See full job descriptions below.
Editorial DesignerPittsburgh City Paper, the city’s free alt-weekly print newspaper and daily digital source for alternative news and entertainment, is hiring a full-time Editorial Designer. This person will be an experienced graphic designer and photo editor who aligns with City Paper’s mission: “to serve the greater Pittsburgh region with journalistic integrity, wit, and compassion, while amplifying the voices in the communities we serve, through both our news reporting and our arts and entertainment coverage.” The ideal candidate will have experience working across a variety of mediums, is familiar with both print and online products, has the creative spirit of an artist, a critical eye for detail, and enthusiasm for visual storytelling.
● Direct the creative vision of City Paper’s print and digital publications through layout, design, coordination, and assignment of photography/illustration, and other visual journalism.
● Serve as the in-house creative agency responsible for creating and/or sourcing art for all print and online stories, as well as marketing and promotional materials.
● Manage the in-house, part-time photographer to ensure weekly assignments are completed in a timely manner and at a high level of quality. Work closely with both editorial and marketing teams to execute City Paper’s overall strategy and vision.
● Commission, assign, and edit photography and illustrations from freelancers, shepherding their work from start to finish, ensuring high-quality output.
● Collaborate with the editors as well as the staff writer to pair reporting and art in innovative and compelling ways.
● Engage in regular communication with the editors about the status of stories.
● Experience working in print design.
● Proficiency with design software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom). Exceptional capability with typographic organization and layout.
● Videography, video editing (Premiere), motion graphics (AfterEffects), photography and/or illustration skills are a plus.
● Ability to balance multiple deadlines and quick turnaround times.
● A love of local journalism, and a sense of humor.
● An understanding of City Paper’s mission, perspective, and distinct voice as an alt-weekly.
● Comfort working with a small staff in a collaborative manner that helps to facilitate an open and generative work environment.
Advertising Sales RepresentativeThis role requires a sales and marketing-minded individual who desires an exciting opportunity to earn uncapped commissions and focus on connecting the local Pittsburgh business owners and organizations with marketing strategies including print, digital, events, sponsorships and social media advertising. This person desires to work with a supportive team base and has the passion to build the brand within the community.
This position includes a current client base to manage, foster and grow while also focusing on acquisition of new clients to hit monthly goals set forth by the company.
This position needs an individual with in-depth knowledge and understanding of the local market and understands the competitive landscapes that many SMBs face today. The ideal candidate is motivated and focused on revenue growth across all platforms with the intention of meeting and exceeding revenue goals.
● Business-to-Business (B2B) advertising sales
● Monitor, analyze, and proactively create solutions to retain and grow revenue
● Prospecting, appointment setting, and virtual/in person presentations (currently limiting in person appointments due to COVID-19 guidelines)
● Develop creative marketing plans across print, sponsorships and digital that engage client's target audience
● Build prospect lists and canvass the market to find new business opportunities
● Coordinating sales efforts with marketing programs
● Actively collaborate with manager to create dynamic plans and goals
● Answering client questions about credit terms, products, prices and availability
● Maintaining client records, processing contracts and payment setup
● Prior sales experience & proven results working for a media company preferred
● A commitment to excellent customer service
● Expertise at developing relationships and building rapport with clients and local organizations
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Ability and willingness to use CRM, book ads and oversee client's creative needs
● Knowledge of digital advertising including but not limited to display, SEM, SEO, video and social media platforms a plus
● Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Google Suite products
● Ability to multitask, manage multiple assignments and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, team-oriented environment
● Reliable transportation & driver's license
Benefits: health care, vacation and sick days, holidays, and 401K.
Job Type: Full-time
Marketing InternThe Marketing Intern will report to the Advertising Director. The role will provide experience in marketing and advertising in the events and media industry.
Responsibilities will include:
● Planning and assisting at Pittsburgh City Paper planned events
● Assisting in coordination and administrative needs for events
● Collecting and organizing marketing data for sales representatives
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Knowledge of MS Office and/or Google Suite Office
● Passion for the marketing industry and desire for real-time experience
Interested students should email a cover letter and resume to Advertising Director, Rachel Winner at firstname.lastname@example.org